Sunday, April 2, 2017

How to Motivate Yourself to Write & Dealing with Procrastination


What is the solution when you don't want to do something? Put it off tomorrow and watch reruns of Orange is the New Black? No! You need to find ways to get yourself out of that lazy, procrastination state of mind! Here are a few ways you can motivate yourself to write, or do anything that you have been putting off.


  • Create a Schedule 
    • I went over this in my post, Developing a Daily Schedule. Creating a schedule helps you know what tasks you are doing and when. That way you aren't overwhelmed with things. If you know you will be writing at say, 7pm every night, then you are more likely to be ready. Remember it takes 66 days to create a habit, which is about 10 weeks. Do stick to your schedule daily and soon you will find it's become a habit.
  • Wake up Earlier 
    • This sort of goes hand-in-hand with creating a schedule. My day starts at about 5-6 am every morning, although I do tend to sleep until 8 on weekends. That's still early! If you train yourself to wake up early during the day, you will find you have more things to do and are able to complete them during the day.
  • Keep a To-Do List 
    • This might seem a little obvious, but it actually helps. You don't need to keep a planner for this, but I do. I write my to-do list down every morning, or sometimes the night before, and I include what I need to do for writing in my Technical Writing Bullet Journal. Make sure to be specific with your to-do list. That leads me to keeping SMART goals.
  • Make SMART Goals
    • I learned about SMART goals while I was in school, and we use them all the time in social work. SMART stands for S-Specific, M-Measurable,A-Agreed Upon, R-Realistic, and T-Time-Based.
    • For example, a SMART goal for Camp NaNoWriMo:
    • In the month of April will write 500 words each day as noted to my cabin and reach around 13,000 words by the end of the month.
  • Accountability
    • This is something that has really helped me. If you have been watching my YouTube channel, you will have noticed that I did a cleaning challenge for my bedroom. I was able to clean it and rearrange my furniture. Having this on YouTube provided some accountability for me and motivated me to get it done. Now I'm not suggesting you start a YouTube, but joining groups and discussing your progress each day provides that same type of accountability.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...